What do you think? Let us know in Comments.
General TipsTo build a "layered dip", the basic procedure is to select and spread different ingredients evenly without disarranging the layer(s) below.
When arranging the layers, it's a good idea to consider the color contrasts (or lack thereof) to provide visual interest. Just a few layers can be quite tasty and tempt the eyes - - just look at Linda C's dip.
Depending upon personal preferences, you can either let the edge of each layer show (like Genêt Hogan at Raised On a Roux) or spread each layer to the edge (like Ree Drummond at Pioneer Woman). Different styles give you options.
Whichever way you choose, do try to keep each layer level because that helps to evenly distribute each ingredient among the servings for that "perfect bite."
For this recipe update, we're trying seven (7) layers in this order:
- Seasoned beans
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream dip
- Finely shredded mozzarella
- Garden topping
Mexican Layer Dip ingredients
Makes about 8 servingsSeasoned beans
1 (15-oz) can refried beans, with or without diced chilies
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground cumin
First cheese layer
3/4 cup (12-oz / 340g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Sour cream dip
1 (8-oz / 226g) carton no fat sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
1 (1.1-oz / 31g) pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Fiesta Ranch Dips Mix (see Notes below)
2 (12-oz / 340g) containers Wholly Guacamole® Classic Dip or Organic Mild Dip
1 cup (8-oz / 226g) chipotle chili pepper salsa, chilled
Second cheese layer
1 cup (8-oz / 226g) finely shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 to 3 green onions including some tops, thinly sliced
1 (2.25-oz US / 63g) can sliced ripe (black) olives, rinsed and well-drained
Few sprigs fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed and some chopped
Optional: 1/2 to 1 finely chopped fresh chile pepper (please wear gloves and remove seeds)
Mexican Layer Dip Directions
Prepare seasoned beans
Remove from heat and spread beans evenly over the bottom of rimmed serving dish (note beautiful Mexican ceramics in photo above).
Next, sprinkle over the shredded cheddar (some of which will melt next to warm beans).
Prepare and layer dips
Spoon Guacamole on top of beans. (This is a shortcut. If you prefer fresh, work your magic now.)
In a large bowl, combine all of the Dip ingredients and use hand mixer to combine well. When the texture is creamy, gently place dollops of the sour cream mixture on top of the guacamole and spread lightly.
Add Salsa in similar fashion. (Another shortcut. If you like, make yours fresh now.)
Layer cheese(s) and Garden Topping
Sprinkle evenly the finely shredded mozzarella over the salsa.
In a medium bowl, toss together the Garden Topping ingredients and place over the mozzarella cheese.
Serve immediately with tortilla chips, or cover and refrigerate until serving time.
Refrigerate any unused portions.
Mexican Layer Dip Notes
- If Hidden Valley Ranch Dips Mix is unavailable, you may substitute 3 Tbsp or one (1.0-oz / 28g) envelope of your favorite fajita seasoning. For testing, we tried Old El Paso Fajita Seasoning Mix.
- Substitute drained, mashed Frijoles Negros A La Criolla for the seasoned pinto beans, crumbled cotja for the second cheese layer, and medium chopped red onions for the green onions. To remove the bite, pre-soak the red onions in fresh lime juice (or cold water) about ten (10) minutes, stirring once or twice. Drain well and pat dry with absorbent paper towels before adding onions to the Garden Topping.
- Use the hand mixer for the best sour cream dip texture. Otherwise, it's rather lumpy. Prepare the sour cream dip ahead, refrigerating at least two (2) hours for the flavors to blend.
- Adapts Tracy P. "Taco Salad Layered Dip." Cotton Belles Delectables compiled by the Cotton Belles Chapter of the American Business Women's Association (Collierville: Fundcraft Publishing, Inc, 1989), 7.
- Updates inspired, in part, by Genêt Hogan at Raised On a Roux and Emma, Ree Drummond at Pioneer Woman and Emma Christensen via TheKitchn.
You might like
7-Layer Dip via Gimme Some Oven
Healthy 7-Layer Bean Dip via Reluctant Entertainer
Appetizers and Snacks > Cold dips / spreads
Latin / Latin-style
Page Last Modified 5 July 2016