Big-Batch Caramelized Onions ingredients (5)
Makes 2 cups
Cooking Time: 8 to 10 hours on High setting
8 yellow onions, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
3 Tbsp unsalted butter (divided use)
2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground pepper
Notes: Do not skip microwaving onions because it is essential to the taste and texture of the end result. Microwaving softens the onions and jump-starts release of excess juices from the onions.
- The editors recommend using yellow onions (and not white or Vidalia onions) because when caramelized, yellow onions have "a good balance between sweet and savory... with mild onion flavor and beautiful color."
- I plan to apply a light coating of olive oil or vegetable cooking spray to the inside of the slow cooker to help keep the onions from sticking (and for easier clean-up).
- These Big-Batch Caramelized Onions may be refrigerated for up to one week.
Big-Batch Caramelized Onions directions
In a bowl, microwave onions with 1 Tbsp of the butter and the salt, stirring occasionally until softened, about fifteen (15) minutes.
Drain onions; discard liquid. Transfer onions to slow cooker.
Stir remaining 2 Tbsp butter and the brown sugar and pepper into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on High until the onions are deep golden brown, about eight to ten (8 - 10) hours.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Return to Top
- Top steaks, burgers or pork chops.
- Add flavor to mashed potatoes, rice, omelettes or sandwiches.
- Chop and pair with Gruyère filling for quiche (recipe via She Knows).
- Make Caramelized Onion Jam.
- Make dip like the one below.
French Onion Dip ingredients (8)
Makes 1.5 cups (about 12 x 2-Tbsp. servings)
3 slices bacon, minced
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Caramelized Onions (recipe above)
2 scallions, minced
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Assorted fresh vegetables or
Melba Rounds or your choice of crackers
Notes: You may prepare this dip a day or two in advance. I will probably use ground white pepper and an herb-infused vinegar.
French Onion Dip directions
In a 12-inch skillet over Medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about five to seven (5 - 7) minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate and let cool.
In a small bowl, combine the cooked and cooled bacon with all remaining dip ingredients; stir.
Cover and refrigerate the dip until the flavors blend, at least one (1) hour, or up to two (2) days. Return to Top
Appetizers and Snacks > Cold > Dips and spreads
Condiments > Chutneys and relishes
Condiments > Spreads > savory
Crock-pot > Sides
Page Last Updated 16 June 2015